school logo

History

The seeds of St. Francis of Assisi Parish and School were sown on December 31, 1954. The Rev. Daniel J. Meehan, a Navy Chaplain stationed at Quantico Marine Base, proposed to Bishop Peter L. Ireton, of the Richmond Diocese, that a new parish and school be established in Triangle, Virginia, to serve the 521 Catholic families on the Marine Base and adjacent area. The Bishop agreed to the proposal and bought twenty acres of land on Fuller Heights Road in Triangle.

The school opened for the first time in September 9, 1957, with the Franciscan Friars of Holy Name Province assigned to the parish. In 2007, the parish celebrated its 50th Anniversary and noted the school's numerous contributions to the parish and local community. As a parochial school in the Diocese of Arlington, St. Francis of Assisi School serves our registered parish families located in both Prince William and Stafford counties.

The St. Francis of Assisi Elementary and Middle School Strategic Plan for Improvement was utilized as a template for improvement during the 2004-2009 academic years. The document was a catalyst for various new programs, ideas, and strategies that were implemented during the five year period. Areas of improvement that were addressed included faith formation, curriculum, governance/finance, and personnel.

The St. Francis of Assisi School faith community has recognized our parent and parish volunteers with a Parent Volunteer Recognition Mass celebrated during May. Faculty and staff fellowship opportunities were experienced during quarterly luncheons hosted by grade-level curriculum teams. The school’s relationship with our Sister Parish in Peru has been improved with a faculty member serving on the St. Francis Parish Outreach Committee, which supports the Peru Parish. During this period, the school has collected more than $5,000 through its Pennies for Peru Campaign. Middle School students have mailed cards to students in the Sister Parish School, and students are remembered during All School Prayer and weekly Masses.

During the five year period, faculty members have attended numerous in-services to assist in implementing new strategies in the classroom to meet the needs of the non-traditional learner. Faculty computers in the classroom have been updated to meet requirements for using the Administrator Plus, Gradequick, and Atlas Curriculum Mapping Programs. Two ACTIV boards and ten LCD projectors were purchased to enhance classroom instruction in the technology area.

Under the direction of the St. Francis Parish Business Manager, the school qualified to participate in the Combined Federal Campaign. The School Operations Administrator worked with the CPA to complete three audits. The Parish Finance Council financially supported the modification of the St. Francis library heating and air conditioning system.

The St. Francis School administrative staff was expanded to include a Communications Coordinator and Operations Administrative Assistant. The role of school receptionist/admissions was developed to assist with our enrollment management, recruitment, and marketing programs. A part-time science teacher was added to our middle school team. Academic excellence and Franciscan hospitality continues to be a hallmark of the St. Francis of Assisi School strategic plan.